- The 23rd Edition of the trilateral maritime exercise of India, Japan and the United States (US) named “Malabar 2019” exercise begun at Sasebo, Japan.
- Indian Participation: India fields 6,100-tonne stealth frigate Indian Navy Ship ( INS) Sahyadri. Anti-submarine Warefare corvette INS Kiltan along with first time deployment of Poseidon-81 long-range maritime patrol aircraft.
About Malabar Exercise:
- It originally began as a bilateral exercise in 1992 between India and China until Japan joined as a permanent member in 2015.
- Previous non-member participants – Australia Singapore.
- Previous Edition –Malabar 2018 took place in coast of Guam in the Philippine Sea