Appointments – Who is who?
Siachen gets ﬁrst woman Army oﬃcer
- Captain Shiva Chouhan, an officer from the Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers, became the ﬁrst woman oﬃcer to be operationally deployed at Kumar Post in the Siachen Glacier.
- The post is located at an altitude of 15,632 feet.
- Siachen Glacier is the longest glacier in the Karakoram range and second-longest in the world’s non-polar areas.
Defence, National Security and Terrorism
28 Projects inaugurated in Arunachal Pradesh
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh also virtually inaugurated the 28 projects of the Border Road Organisation (BRO)
- Out of these, eight have been constructed in Ladakh, four in Jammu and Kashmir, five in Arunachal Pradesh, three each in Sikkim, Punjab and Uttarakhand and two in Rajasthan.
Siyom Bridge in Arunachal Pradesh
- The bridge is a 100-metre ‘Class-70’ steel arch superstructure built on the Aalo-Yingkiong road between West Siang and Upper Siang districts.
- It is one of the 28 projects completed by the BRO at a cost of Rs 724.3 crore to bolster border infrastructure.
Birth Anniversary of Queen Velu Nachiar (3 January 1730 – 25 December 1796)
- Veeramangai Velu Nachiyar of Tamil Nadu was the first woman to fight the British and the only female hero to recapture her lost kingdom.
- Born in 1730 to the Ramanathapuram king Muthu Vijayaragunatha Selladurai Sethupathi.
- She was married to the Sivagangai Seemai Poligar Muthu Vaduganathar in 1746.
- She escaped from Sivagangai Seemai when the British killed Muthu Vaduganathar in 1772 and took refuge in the Dindigul and Virupatchi forts.
- With the help of the Marudhu Brothers, she fought the British with modern weapons supplied by Hyder Ali and captured Kalaiyar Kovil
- Later, on a Vijayadasami Day, along with her ‘only women army’ she besieged and captured the Sivagangai Fort.
- Velu Nachiyar’s life testifies to the courage of the Tamil land and the heroism of women
- Tamil Nadu Governor RN Ravi inaugurated the Octave 2023 in Chennai.
- Octave 2023 is a cultural festival held under the aegis of the South Zone Cultural Centre, Thanjavur, to showcase the indigenous art and culture of the North East India.