- The International team of astronomers led by scientists at the University of California, United States (US) have discovered a monster galaxy dubbed as XMM-2599.
- This galaxy existed around 12 billion years ago just 1.8 billion years after the formation of the universe. The details of this discovery has been published in the Astrophysical Journal.
- Observation: The detailed measurement of XMM-2599 was taken using spectroscopic observations from the W. M. Keck Observatory’s powerful Multi-Object Spectrograph for Infrared Exploration or MOSFIRE.
- Galaxy formation: The galaxy XMM-2599 was formed more than 1,000 solar masses a year in stars during the peak of the stars’ activity and was discovered by the astronomers during XMM-2599 inactive phase.
- It was also found that following 11.7 billion years of cosmic history, XMM-2599 will be the central member of one of the brightest & most massive clusters of galaxies in the local universe.