- The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi gave its approval for signing Agreement on Social Securitybetween India and Brazil.
- The Social Security Agreement is being signed by India with several other countries in order to protect the interests of the professionals and skilled workers living abroad.Highlights of the agreement
Highlights of the agreement
- There are around 4.700 Indians living in Brazil and 1,000 Brazilians living in India. The agreement would promote inclusiveness and equity for the Indians living in Brazil and vice versa.
- The agreement also allows export of social security benefits of the Indian workers after they relocate from Brazil.
- The idea of signing social security agreements conceived in the BRICS Labor and Employment Ministersmeet that was held in June 2016 in New Delhi.
- It was also insisted at the 8th BRICS summit. It was after this summit India and Brazil began their negotiations and finalized the text of Social Security Agreement.