- The Centre, on Tuesday, officially brought the Cauvery Water Management Authority under the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- As per the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961, all river boards, including Cauvery, Godavari and Krishna, have been brought under the Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation in the Ministry of Jal Shakthi.
- Acting on the Supreme Court’s direction, the Centre in June 2018 constituted Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) to address the dispute over sharing of river water among Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry.
About Jal Shakthi
- Ministry of Jal Shakti is a ministry under Government of Indiawhich was formed in May 2019 under the second Modi ministry.
- This was formed by merging of two ministries; Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenationand Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.