- In a very novel idea of plastic garbage collection, the South Delhi Municipal Corporation has launched a unique initiative of providing food for garbage.
- The scheme has been started in Najafgarh area where local residents can exchange plastic waste for lunch and dinner. While people can avail lunch and dinner in exchange for 1-kg of plastic waste, breakfast can be eaten by depositing 250 grams of plastic garbage.
- The scheme has been launched as part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. The ‘Garbage Cafe’ restaurant has been started from Vardhman Mall of Dwarka.
- This is touted as Delhi’s first garbage cafe where the two meals and breakfast can be availed in lieu of plastic waste. Not only for common people, the ‘garbage cafe’ has also made provision for rag pickers to avail food from the restaurant. India’s first ‘garbage cafe’ was opened in Chhattisgarh by Ambikapur Municipal Corporation.
- The initiative was also aimed at making the city plastic-free.
Current Affairs Calender