Director General of Audit for T.N.
- Tamil Nadu is the ﬁrst State to create the role of Director General of Audit, and has hired an oﬀicer from the Indian Audit and Accounts Service for the purpose.
- The oﬃcer’s responsibility would be to strengthen and streamline the functioning of internal audit departments so that they perform their functions professionally.
- The State government recognised the importance of internal audits, and had proper control mechanisms so that it could improve the eﬃefficiency of expenditure.
- The internal audit departments had been operating under the same department they were supposed to audit and there was no independence. The new post would ensure independence.
T.N. notiﬁes police law providing for Complaints Division
- The State government has notiﬁed the Tamil Nadu Police (Reforms) Rules, 2022, which provide for a Police Complaints Division under the administrative control of the ADGP of the Crime Branch CID and under the overall control of the DGP.
- The complaints received will be referred to the division for inquiry under Sections 13 and 16 of the Act by the State Police Complaints Authority and the District Police Complaints Authority.
- The Police Complaints Division is to complete its inquiry within six months from the date of receipt of a complaint and send the report to the State Police Complaints Authority or the District Police Complaints Authority, as the case may be.
- The rules also provide for the State Security Commission, which is to meet at least once in a year.
Safe Surgery – Protocols and Checklists
- Health Minister Ma. Subramanian releasing the ‘Safe Surgery – Protocols and Checklists’, a manual on safe surgery protocols and checklists which will be issued to nearly 5,000 surgical specialists in Tamil Nadu.
- It was announced that every surgery would be audited in the State. To facilitate it, four regional death audit committees will be constituted in Madurai, Coimbatore, Tiruchirapalli and Chennai.
- Four higher speciality doctors from surgery, medicine, anesthesia and orthopedics would be members of each committee.
- The State government had reduced the fee for foreign medical graduates to take up internship in the State from ₹3.54 lakh to ₹25,000 in February, 2022.