- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade Trade (DPIIT) is working actively on the e-commerce as well as new industrial policies, and both are expected to be released by the end of this fiscal.
- The government in February released a draft national e-commerce policy, proposing setting up a legal and technological framework for restrictions on cross-border data flow and also laid out conditions for businesses regarding collection or processing of sensitive data locally and storing it abroad.
- The proposed new industrial policy is aimed at promoting emerging sectors, reducing regulatory hurdles and making India a manufacturing hub.
- This will be the third industrial policy after the first in 1956 and the second in 1991. It will replace the industrial policy of 1991 which was prepared in the backdrop of the balance of payment crisis.
- The DPIIT had initiated the process of formulation of a new industrial policy in May 2017. The new policy will subsume the National Manufacturing Policy (NMP).
Current Affairs Calender