Environment and Ecology
Invasive mussel in Ennore and Pulicat
- Mytella strigata or Charru mussels is an invasive mussel species native to South America.
- The species is spreading in the coastal waters of Tamil Nadu and Kerala due to the discharge of ballast waters from ships visiting the ports of Kattupalli and Ennore.
- The South American Mussel is locally known as kakka aazhi.
- Its spread is threatening the existence of the locally prevalent yellow clams (manja matti) and green mussels (pachai aazhi).
RBI releases Report on Trend and Progress of Banking in India 2021-22
- The report is a statutory publication in compliance with Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- The report presents the performance of the banking sector, including co-operative banks and non-banking financial institutions.
Key Highlights of report
- Consolidated balance sheet of Scheduled Commercial Banks (SCBs) registered double digit growth in 2021-22, after a gap of seven years.
- Gross non-performing assets (GNPA) ratio of SCBs has declined from 9 percent in 2017-18 to 5.8 percent at end-March 2022.
- Financial performance of urban co-operative banks showed improvement.
- Non-banking financial company (NBFC) sector improved in 2021-22. With strong capital buffers, adequate provisions, and sufficient liquidity,
- The reasons for declining NPA include Loan write-off by PSBs (public sector banks) Upgradation of loans in PVBs (private banks), reduced Share of large borrowings.