- The Government of India approved the first SEZ (Special Economic Zone) at Sabroom, Tripurain October 2019. Recently, it was announced that the SEZ will primarily focus on agro-based food processing. Union Government is expected to invest around Rs 1550 crore in the project.
- The SEZ is to be developed by the Tripura Industrial Development Corporation.
- The SEZ will focus on rubber based industries like threads, tyres, bamboo industries, textile and apparel industries and agri-food processing industries.
- According to SEZ rules minimum of 25 hectares of land is required to set up a new SEZ in the North Eastern States.
- The SEZ is expected to generate 12,000 skilled jobs. The zone will attract more private investments as its location is nearer to Chittagong Port.
- Also, the access to the zone will increase after the construction of bridge across Feni River in South Tripura.