Rich tributes paid to poet Azha Valliappa
- The centenary celebrations of Azha Valliappa, popularly known as Kuzhandai Kavignar (children’s poet) was held.
- Every year, the poet’s birthday on November 7 was celebrated as children’s literature day.
- The year 2022 marks the 100th anniversary of the writer as he was born on November 22, 1922.
Books and Author
New Book About E. K. Janaki Ammal by Nirmala James
- Retired school teacher Nirmala James has authored a new book titled “E. K. Janaki Ammal: Life and Scientific Contributions”, featuring the life and remarkable achievements of Edavalath Kakkat Janaki Ammal (E. K. Janaki Ammal), India’s first woman botanist.
- The book, published by Enview Research and Development, was released during the event organised on the 125th birth anniversary of E. K. Janaki Ammal. She was born on 4th November 1897 in Thalassery, Kerala.
- Nirmala James has authored around 25 books including books for children
- Note: Janaki Ammal received Padma Shri in 1977
Appointments – Who is who?
New chairperson of the Law Commission.
- Retired High Court Chief Justice Rituraj Awasthi was appointed chairperson of the Law Commission, Law Minister Kiren Rijiju said.
- Justice K.T. Sankaran, Professor Anand Paliwal, Professor D.P. Verma, Professor Raka Arya and M Karunanithi have been appointed as members of the commission.
- The appointment comes after more than two years after the 22nd Law Commission was notified on February 24, 2020.
About Law Commission
- It is a non-statutory body and is constituted by a notification of the Government of India, Ministry of Law & Justice, Department of Legal Affairs.
- The first Law Commission was established in 1834 by the East India Company under the Charter Act of 1833, and was presided by Lord Macaulay.