- According to a recent report by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME),14% of under 5 years of age deaths in India occurred mainly due to pneumonia. This accounted for approximately 1,27,000 deaths annually where the figure was around 1,78,000 in 2013.
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation(IHME) report:
- The report has been released prior to the 1st-ever global forum on childhood pneumonia in Barcelona from January 29 to 31.
- 50% of the under-5 deaths caused by pneumonia were from the northern belt of India.
- Pneumonia mortality rate: The current pneumonia mortality rate is 5 per 1,000 live births. The target has been set to reduce the mortality rate to less than 3 by 2025.
- Death rate in general: 9 millionchildren are estimated to die in a decade if proper action is not taken to combat pneumonia.