- Researchers from IIT-H, Telangana (Indian Institute of Technology- Hyderabad) had found a molecule called “AIM-4”that can help in the treatment of rare neurodegenerative disease called “Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis” (ALS) known as “Lou Gehrig’s disease”.
- About ALS:ALS is a neurodegenerative disorder that severely affects voluntary movement of muscles & leads to paralysis and death. ALS occurs due to changes in specific genes & caused by factors such as smoking, exposure to toxins, metals and pesticides.
- ALS is caused by alterations in genes that code for a critical protein called TDP-43. The gene alteration modifies the protein which results in liquid-liquid phase separation, causes proteins to be deposited on nerve cells called neurodegeneration.
- About TDP-43: The TARDP gene provides instructions for making a protein called Transactive response DNA binding Protein 43 (TDP-43). TDP-43 protein is involved in processing molecules called messenger Ribonucleic Acid (mRNA), which serve as the genetic blueprints for making proteins.
- About AIM-4: AIM-4 prevents liquid-liquid phase separation of proteins & also deposition of protein on neurons.