India Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
- India IGF is an initiative associated with the UN Internet Governance Forum, a multi-stakeholder platform to discuss public policy issues related to the Internet.
- The second edition of IGF was held in New Delhi from December 9 to 12.
- Theme for 2022: ‘Leveraging Techade for Empowering Bharat’.
- Internet Governance is development and application by Governments, private sector and civil society, in their respective roles, of shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making procedures, and programs that shape evolution and use of the Internet.
- Internet Governance involves Internet Protocol Addressing (IP Addressing), Domain Name System (DNS), Routing, Technical Innovations, Standardization, Security, Public Policy, Privacy, Legal Issues, Cyber Norms, Intellectual Property and taxation.
- India supports a multi-stakeholder approach in matters on Internet Governance.
Challenges to Internet governance:
- Continuously evolving nature of the internet.
- Concentration of digital power in a few companies and countries.
- Decision making skewed to the supply side rather than to the demand side etc.
- India is the largest ‘connected’ nation in the world with 800 million Indian users.
- BharatNet is a flagship mission implemented by Bharat Broadband Network Ltd. (BBNL) with an aim to connect all the 2,50,000 Gram panchayats in the country and provide 100 Mbps connectivity to all gram panchayats.
- National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) was launched in October 2011 and was renamed as Bharat Net Project in 2015.
India International Science Festival (IISF)-2022
- The IISF-2022 will be held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh in January 2023.
- The IISF 2022 is the eighth edition since its inception in 2015.
- IISF is the initiative of the Ministry of Science & Technology and Ministry of Earth Science in association with Vijnana Bharati.
- Vijnana Bharati is a science movement with a swadeshi spirit led by eminent scientists of the country.
- IISF aims to engage creative and imaginative minds in India and across the globe to celebrate science through various programs and activities connected to Aazadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The first and second IISF were held in New Delhi, the third in Chennai, the fourth one in Lucknow, fifth in Kolkata, sixth through virtual mode and the seventh IISF was held in Goa.