- India’s Koneru Humpy outwitted China’s Lei Tingjie in a dramatic Armageddon battle to win the Women’s World Rapid Chess Championship in Moscow, Russia.
- While Humpy was crowned the world women’s rapid champion, Norway’s Magnus Carlsen claimed the men’s title in the space
About Koneru Humpy
- Koneru Humpy was born on 31 March 1987 in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. She is India’s youngest woman chess grandmaster player.
- In January 2010, her FIDE score was 2614 that gave her the second position (after Judget Polgar) in the world female chess player rankings.
- In 2003, she was awarded Arjuna Award while in 2007, she was awarded Padma Shri.
- In 2015, she won a bronze medal in Women’s World Team Chess Championship.
- In 2009-2011, 2011-12, 2013-14, and 2015-16 Koneru Humpy finished runner-up in the FIDE Women’s Grand Prix series.