India’s First Carbon Neutral Farm
- Pinarayi Vijayan, Chief Minister (CM) of Kerala, declared Kerala Seed Farm in Aluva, Ernakulam district as India’s First Carbon Neutral Farm in India.
- The total amount of carbon emission from the farm, located at Thuruthu in Aluva, in the last one year was 43 tons but its overall procurement was 213 tonnes.
- Compared to the emission rate, as many as 170 tons of more carbon have been procured at the farm, which helped it to be declared as the first carbon neutral seed farm in the country.
- Kerala Government aims to achieve 40% of its energy needs from renewable energy sources by 2025.
- Kerala aims to establish Carbon-neutral farms in all 140 Assembly constituencies.
- Capital – Thiruvananthapuram
- Governor – Arif Mohammad Khan
- Chief Minister – Pinarayi Vijayan