MEITY : Nodal Ministry for Online Gaming
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has appointed MeitY as the central regulatory authority that will provide clarity and certainty to investors, industry and consumers.
- Online games refer to games that are played over some form of computer network, most often the Internet.
- As per All India Gaming Federation, India’s online gaming industry is expected to be worth ₹15,500 crore by 2023.
Types of online gaming
- Game of skill
- It requires a player’s skill and mental or physical strength to win. It does not depend on sheer luck.
- Games of chance
- It is considered as gambling as it depends on factors like luck and unpredictability.
- The winnings from games of skill attract 18 per cent Goods and Services Tax (GST). On the other hand, winnings from games of chance attract 28 per cent GST.
Road accidents in India 2021 report by the ministry of road transport and highways
- It is an annual report based on parameters of road accidents like the number of accidents, fatalities, fatal accidents, injuries, etc.
- Road accidents decreased by 8.1 % and injuries decreased by 14.8 % in 2021 compared to 2019.
- Fatalities, however, on accounts of road accidents increased by 1.9 percent in 2021 corresponding to the same period in 2019.
- In 2020, there is an unprecedented decrease in accidents, fatalities, and injuries due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Uttar Pradesh accounted for the largest share of fatalities at 13.8% followed by Tamil Nadu (10%).
Initiatives for road safety
- The Road Safety Programme funded by the World Bank for capacity building of states.
- Integrated Road Accident Database (iRAD) system for analysis of road accidents data to enhance road safety.
- National Road Safety Board under Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019.
- Scheme for District Driving Training Centres.
- Awards for outstanding work in the field of Road Safety.
- India is a signatory to Brasilia Declaration on Road Safety (2015).