PARAVAI Programme launched
- Greater Chennai City Police launched the PARAVAI (Personality and Attitude Reformation Assistance Venture for Affirming Identity) programme.
- The programme focuses on the reformation of first time petty offenders in the 18-24 age group and their reintegration into society, thereby preventing them from turning to a life of crime.
- PARAVAI programme is a six stage process flow, wherein the young offenders are followed up on from the time they are arrested and lodged in the Saidapet sub jail and subsequently released on bail.
- The programme was oﬃcially launched in April, 2022.
- The Neighbourhood Police Officers (NPOs) nominated for each Assistant Commissioner range are tasked with ensuring that the youth undergo the six stage process.
Southern Railway headquarters celebrates centenary
- The interiors of the Southern Railway headquarters lit up in blue to celebrate its centenary.
- The building is marked by the displaying a decommissioned steam loco engine, PL691 at the front.
- The building was inaugurated by Lady Willingdon, the wife of the then Governor of Madras Freeman Freeman-Thomas, on December 11, 1922.
- The foundation of the building was laid by Lord Pentland, the then Governor of Madras, in 1915.
- Designed by N. Grayson, an architect and employee of the Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway, it cost ₹30.76 lakh
- It was constructed by T. Samynada Pillai, a Bengaluru-based building contractor.
- A postal cover to mark the centenary of the headquarters was released in January 2022.