India’s Foreign Policy
9th India-U.S. Economic and Financial Partnership
- Indian Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman and United States Treasury Secretary Dr. Janet L. Yellen met in New Delhi for the 9th meeting of India-U.S. Economic and Financial Partnership.
- The U.S. Treasury and Ministry of Finance launched the Economic and Financial Partnership in 2010 as a framework to cement the economic bonds between the two nations and build a foundation for greater cooperation and economic growth.
- A dedicated session on climate finance for the second time under the Economic and Financial Partnership was conducted.
- The two countries discussed issues relating to cryptocurrency regulation.
Latest Court Verdicts
SC orders release of all life convicts in Rajiv case
- The Supreme Court ordered the immediate release of six life convicts who have been in prison for over three decades in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
- The six convicts are: Nalini, Ravichandran, Jayakumar, Suthenthiraraja (Santhan), Murugan and Robert Payas.
- In 2018, the then AIADMK government in Tamil Nadu recommended the names of all the seven convicts, including Perarivalan, for premature release. But the decision remained pending before the state’s Governor following which Perarivalan approached the Supreme Court.
- On May 18, 2022 the apex court had ordered the release of Perarivalan, exercising its powers under Article 142 of the Constitution. The bench said the same order will apply to the six other accused as well.