Latest Court Verdicts
Kerala HC offers interim relief to Vice-Chancellors
- The Kerala High Court restrained Governor Aric Mohammed Khan, in his capacity as Chancellor of universities, from passing final orders on the show-cause notices he issued to Vice-Chancellors of eight universities.
- The Court restrained the Governor until the court takes a call on the writ petitions filed by the latter seeking to quash the notices.
- Mr.Khan had issued the notices to the Vice-Chancellors citing violation of University Grants Commission (UGC) norms in their appointment.
- Note : Article 153 of the Constitution of India states that there shall be a Governor for each State.
- Role of Governors in State Universities:
- In most cases, the Governor of the state is the ex-officio chancellor of the universities in that state.
- While as Governor he functions with the aid and advice of the Council of Ministers, as Chancellor he acts independently of the Council of Ministers and takes his own decisions on all University matters.
Case of Central Universities:
- Under the Central Universities Act, 2009, and other statutes, the President of India shall be the Visitor of a central university.
- With their role limited to presiding over convocations, Chancellors in central universities are titular heads, who are appointed by the President in his capacity as Visitor.