Public Awareness & General Administration
Women outnumber men in revised voters’ list of Chennai
- Women voters outnumber men in the 16 constituent assemblies in Chennai district as per the draft electoral rolls released.
- Of the total 38,92,547 voters, 19,75,778 are women, 19,15,611 are men and 1,058 are others.
Level of groundwater extraction lowest in 18 years, ﬁnds study
- According to an assessment made by the Central Ground Water Board (CGWB) it was found that groundwater extraction in India saw an 18year decline.
Key Highlights of the report
- The total annual groundwater recharge for the entire country is 437.6 billion cubic metres (bcm) and annual groundwater extraction for the entire country is 239.16 bcm.
- Out of the total 7,089 assessment units in the country, 1,006 units have been categorised as “overexploited” in the report.
- The 2022 assessment suggests that groundwater extraction is the lowest since 2004, when it was 231 bcm.
- Such joint exercises between the CGWB and States/Union Territories were carried out earlier in 1980, 1995, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2017 and 2020.