Public Awareness & General Administration
Transfer of seven High Court judges
- The Supreme Court Collegium led by Chief Justice of India D.Y. Chandrachud published its resolution recommending the transfer of seven High Court judges.
Procedure of transfer of HC judge:
- Article 222 of the Constitution makes provision for the transfer of a Judge (including Chief Justice) from one High Court to any other High Court.
- The initiation of the proposal for the transfer of a Judge should be made by the Collegium consisting of Chief Justice of India (CJI) and the four seniors most Judges of the Supreme Court.
- The proposal once referred to the Government, the Union Minister of Law and Justice would submit a recommendation to the Prime Minister who will then advise the President as to the transfer of the Judge concerned.
- After the President approves the transfer, the notification will be gazetted and the judge remains transferred.
RTI portal of Supreme Court launched
- The Supreme Court launched its Right to Information (RTI) portal to help people access information about the Supreme Court.
- The RTI portal would help the people to file RTI applications online.
About RTI Act, 2005
- The RTI Act, 2005 sets out the rules and procedures regarding citizens’ right to information. This act was enacted in order to consolidate the fundamental right in the Indian constitution ‘freedom of speech’.
- It replaced the former Freedom of Information Act, 2002.