Tamil Nadu Climate Summit 2022
- The first ever Tamil Nadu Climate Summit begins at Chennai.
- The Tamil Nadu Green Climate Change Company will focus on preparing decarbonisation pathways for various sectors; conceptualising and setting up finance models and a climate studio; climate budgeting; and partnerships with local agencies.
- Tamil Nadu Climate Summit 2022 highlighted the State’s flagship missions and initiatives, one of which is the Green Climate Change Company, a special purpose vehicle to steer Tamil Nadu to become a climate smart State.
- The summit was inaugurated with three major missions of the State government
- Climate Change Mission – The mission will help to strengthen the government’s climate response at the grassroots.
- Green Tamil Nadu Mission – The mission aims to Increase the State’s green cover (areas including forest and the tree cover around it) from 23.71% to 33%.
- Tamil Nadu Wetlands Mission – It aims to restore 100 wetlands across the state in five years
- At the first Tamil Nadu climate conference hosted in the city the experts emphasised that being climate-smart is the only way to adapt to the effects of climate change on many sectors, especially agriculture.
- Presentations on diverse strategies for adaptation, problem- solving, and resilience to the effects of climate change on sectors like transport, agriculture, solid waste, innovation, and energy were given by experts from many professions, including the local communities.
- TN is preparing an inventory of greenhouse gases and has already completed it for Tirunelveli, Coimbatore and Trichy
- It was stated that real time crop advisory, use of drones to manage crops, and implementation of smart farming techniques using artificial intelligence were a few action points taken to achieve food security.
Body worn cameras to monitor prisoners activities in TN jails
- Body worn cameras to monitor the activities of high-risk prisoners in Tamil Nadu were introduced in Central prisons.
- Apart from 9 Central prisons in the State, the facility will also be introduced in Pudukkottai district jail.
- Initially, the body worn cameras were introduced in Central prison Puzhal for the first time.
- In total, there are 142 prisons in Tamil Nadu under the Prisons Department which includes 9 Central Jails, 14 District Jails, 96 Branch Jails, 5 Women’s Special Jails, 12 Juvenile Schools (Borstal Schools), 3 Open Air Jails, 3 Special Jails.