- Chennai has become the first city to have an online waste exchange for municipal solid waste.
- Residents who want to sell their waste online will be able to contact 2,600 scrap dealers and other agencies across the city.
- The Madras Waste Exchange, which is both a web portal and an application. Has been conceptualized by the Smart City Mission, with support from the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. The web portal is https://www.madraswasteexchange.com/
- Chennai Corporation Commissioner G.Prakash launched the pilot project of Madras Waste Exchange to facilitate buying and selling of waste in the city.
- The Corporation’s waste repository in Resource Recovery Centres and Micro Composting Centres will also be listed in the exchange for buyers to purchase from the civic body.