Defence, National Security and Terrorism
Chiefs of Indian, French Air Forces join ongoing Garuda-VII air exercise
- The 7th edition of the Bilateral Exercise Garuda VII-2022 is being held between Indian Air Force (IAF), and French Air and Space Force (FASF) at Air Force Station, Jodhpur, Rajasthan from October 26 – November 12, 2022,
- In this exercise, FASF will participate with four Rafale fighter aircraft, one A-330 Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) aircraft and a contingent of 220 personnel.
- The IAF is participating with Su-30 MKI, Rafale, Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas and Jaguar fighter aircraft, as well as the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) and Mi-17 helicopters.
- It is the 4th edition of exercise hosted by India viz. 2003 (1st), 2006 (3rd) and 2014 (5th) at Air Force stations Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh), Kalaikunda (West Bengal) and Jodhpur, respectively.
- In France, the second, fourth, and sixth editions took place in 2005, 2010, and 2019.
- Japan hosts the Malabar multilateral naval exercise involving India, Australia, Japan and the U.S. began on November 8, 2022 as the International Fleet Review and the 18th Western Naval Paciﬁc Symposium, also hosted by Japan, concluded with 13 and 27 countries attending, respectively.
Literary writer Ilasai Aruna passes away (84)
- Ilasai Aruna worked as a teacher in Ottapidaram, Tuticorin district.
- He is also the author of several classical poetry works including Manithanai Paaduvom (மனிதனைப் பாடுவோம்), Printing Mistakes (அச்சுப்பிழைகள்), Songs of Karisal (கரிசல் கீதங்கள்), A Dream’s Title (ஒரு கனவின் தலைப்பு)
- He had written many modern poetry like An Indian Poet’s Usual Anger (ஓர் இந்திய கவிஞனின் சராசரி கோபம்), An Abnorma’s Rambling (ஒரு அப்நார்மலின் முனகல்). He has also written short story compilation like Stories of Karisal Forest (கரிசல் காட்டுக் கதைகள்) and A Poet’s Stories (ஒரு கவிஞனின் கதைகள்).
- He is the author of two collections of books on literary men of the Karisal land.
- He has received many awards including VOC Award, Tamil Scholar Award, Bharathi Award, Bharathi Great Services Award.
Appointments – Who is who?
India’s Dr. J.A. Jayalal elected as Secretary General of Commonwealth Medical Association
- Commonwealth Medical Association, a body of medical associations of 58 countries under the Commonwealth announced the names of new office bearers.
- India’s Prof. Dr. J.A. Jayalal, former President of the Indian Medical Association (IMA) has been elected as the Secretary-General for the association.
- The Office Bearers election for 2022-24 was held in Malaysia during the Annual executive meeting and council meeting held from 4th to 6th November 2022.
- In this Dr. Muragaraj, serving as President of the Malaysia Medical Association elected as President unopposed.
- For the first time in the history of 60 years of Common Wealth Prof. Dr. J.A. Jayalal has been elected as the Secretary General of CMA.
- He hails from Kanyakumari, Tamilnadu, and serving as Professor and HOD of Surgery in Kanyakumari Government Medical College.
- He has served as the President of the Indian Medical Association in the year 2021 and Head of UNESCO Bioethics Chair India.
- CMA was established in 1962. CMA works in association with the commonwealth secretariat in the UK and meet often with heads of Governments and policymakers.