International Anti-Corruption Day
- The day is observed globally on 9 December to raise awareness about corruption and the ways to combat this global ill.
- The day seeks to highlight the role of every part of society – individuals, non-governmental organisations, law enforcement, governments and media persons — in tackling the issue of corruption.
- Theme 2022 – “Uniting the World Against Corruption”.”
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the United Nations Convention Against Corruption on 31 October 2003.
- The Convention, which came into effect in 2005, is a legally binding universal anti-corruption instrument, with a majority of countries being party to the Convention.
- India’s rank improved one place to 85 among 180 countries in a corruption perception index (CPI) of 2021, according to a new report by Transparency International.
55th Submarine Day
- The Indian Navy observes Submarine Day every year on December 8.
- The day marks the for mation of Indian Navy’s submarine arm with the commissioning of its first submarine, erstwhile INS Kalvari, on December 8, 1967 into Indian Navy.
- INS Kalvari is the first Scorpene class submarine in India.
- The Indian Navy currently operates sixteen diesel powered submarines.
India’s submarine fleet is based at two locations:
- Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh on the east coast
- Mumbai, Maharashtra on the west coast.
Awards and Honour
First Global Ambassador for Diabetes
- Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh, has been named the “Global Ambassador for Diabetes” by the International Diabetic Federation (IDF) at the opening ceremony of the World Diabetes Congress 2022 held in Lisbon, Portugal.
- She will be the first Global Ambassador for Diabetes.
- The title was conferred in recognition of her contribution to improving the lives of people living with diabetes.
- For the next 2 years, the global diabetes ambassador will be the voice of people living with diabetes all over the world.
About PM Sheikh Hasina:
- Sheikh Hasina served as Prime Minister of Bangladesh thrice
- She is the longest-serving prime minister in the history of Bangladesh.
- In 2014, she received the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Peace Tree award for her commitment to women’s empowerment and girls’ education.
- The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is an umbrella organization of over 230 national diabetes associations in more than 160 countries and territories. The Federation has been leading the global diabetes community since 1950.