International Mountain Day
- The Day is observed annually on December 11 to raise awareness of the significance of mountains.
- Conservation of the mountains is one of the major factors for sustainable development and is a part of Goal 15 of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The United Nations adopted a document “Managing Fragile Ecosystems: Sustainable Mountain Development” during the Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD) in 1992.
- This led to a need for safeguarding and preserving the mountains.
- The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed December 11 as International Mountain Day in 2003.
Significance of Mountains
- Mountain conservation plays a crucial role in long-term development.
- Nearly 27% of the Earth’s land is covered by mountains.
- According to the United Nations, around 15% of the world’s population resides in the mountains.
- However, with several environmental issues, the life of mountains are also under threat.
Universal Health Coverage Day
- The day is observed every year on 12 December and it marks the date to call on leaders to make smarter investments and accelerate efforts towards “Health for All”.
- The Day aims at raising awareness on the need for strong and resilient health systems and universal health coverage with multi-stakeholder partners.
- Universal health coverage (UHC) lifts people out of poverty, promotes the well-being of families and communities, protects against public health crises, and moves us toward health for all.
- Theme 2022 – “Build the world we want: A healthy future for all”
- On December 12, 2012, the United Nations General Assembly had endorsed a resolution urging countries to accelerate progress toward universal health coverage (UHC).
141st Birth Anniversary of Subramania Bharati
- TN CM MK Stalin inaugurated Mahakavi Bharathi’s memorial house and his bust in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh to commemorate the 141st birth anniversary of Subramania Bharati.
About Mahakavi Bharathiyar (11 December 1882 to 11 September 1921)
- Born in Ettayapuram in Tirunelveli district (present-day Thoothukudi)
- Worked as a journalist with many newspapers, including The Hindu, Bala Bharata, Vijaya, Chakravarthini, the Swadesamitran and India.
- Other names – Bharathi, Subbaiah, Sakthi Dasan, Mahakavi, Mundasu Kavignar, Veera Kavi, Selly Dasan.
- Notable Works – Kuyil paattu (Song of Nightingale; 1912) (குயில் பாட்டு), Kaṇṇan paaṭṭu (1917; Songs to Krishna), Panchali sapatham (1912; Panchali’s Vow).
Appointments – Who is who?
New Chief Minister of Himachal Chief Minister
- Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu took oath as the 15th Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh in Shimla.
About Himachal Pradesh
- Capital – Shimla
- Governor – Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar
New President of Indian Olympic Association
- Legendary athlete P.T. Usha has been elected as the First Woman President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
About PT Usha
- She is a retired Indian track and field athlete.
- Born in Kuttali, Kozhikode, Kerala.
- Won 4 Asian gold medals and 7 Silver medals.
- Often called the “Queen of Indian track and field”.
- Nominated member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Padma Shri in 1985
- Formation – 1927
- Headquarters – New Delhi