World Diabetes Day 2022
- World Diabetes Day is observed on November 14 which provides an opportunity to raise awareness of diabetes as a global public health issue and what needs to be done, collectively and individually, for better prevention, diagnosis and management of the condition.
- Theme for 2022 : ‘Access to diabetes education’ which underpins the larger multi-year theme of ‘access to care’.
- India has an estimated 77 million people (1 in 11 Indians) clinically diagnosed with diabetes, which makes it the second most affected in the world, after China.
World Organisations – Pacts and Summits
G 20 Summit at Bali
- PM Narendra Modi left for Bali to attend the G20 summit on November 15 and 16.
- Food and energy security and post COVID health issues are at the top of the agenda in sessions at the summit in the Indonesian city.
- The G20 or Group of Twenty is an intergovernmental forum of major developed and developing economies comprising 19 countries and the European Union (EU).
- Formation – 26 September 1999.
- Chairman – Joko Widodo, President of Indonesia
- First Meeting in in Cologne, Germany
- G20 Countries – Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, India, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, Russia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the European Union.
- India will assume the Presidency of the G20 for one year from December 1, 2022 to November 30, 2023 and the G20 Leaders’ Summit will take place in New Delhi in 2023.
Sports and Games
England become the first team to hold both World Cups in white-ball cricket
- England defeated Pakistan by 5 wickets to lift the trophy of the ICC T20 World Cup. The match was played on Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia.
- England become the first team to hold both World Cups in white-ball cricket. England already won the ODI World Cup in 2019.
- Man of the Tournament – Sam Curran.