- UNESCO(United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), has removed the ‘Carnival of Aalst’ of Belgium from its Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity List.
- The 2019 carnival featured a parade float that included racist and anti-Semitic representations which mocked the Orthodox Jews. The carnival was added to the Intangible Cultural Heritage list in 2010.
- The carnival of Aalst is a three day festival that is held annually in the Belgium city of Aalst, it is celebrated in the days preceding Ash Wednesday. It was recognized by UNESCO as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
About UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization):
- Formation- 4 November 1946
- Headquarters- Paris, France.