Latest Inventions on Science & Technology
Second interstellar object 2I/Borisov discovered in the solar system
- According to the International Astronomical Union (IAU), a second interstellar object named 2I/Borisov has been discovered in the solar system. It was discovered by amateur astronomer Gennady Borisov from MARGO observatory, Crimea on August 30, 2019 which looked like a comet from a 0.65-metre telescope built on his own. The first interstellar object was 1I/”Oumuamua
- It has an orbit as hyperbolic.
- 2I/Borisov will make its closest approach to the sun on 7 December 2019.
- The conclusions of the discovery has been supported by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA) Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) Solar System Dynamics (SSD) Group.
About an interstellar object:
- An interstellar object is an astronomical object- an asteroid, comet or possibly planet, but not a star or substar, that is located in interstellar space and is not gravitationally bound to a star. Interstellar space is the physical space within a galaxy beyond the influence each star has upon the encompassed plasma.
Mass Media & Communication
G Kishan Reddy launched street crime patrol van ‘prakhar’ and emergency response number ‘112’
- The Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri G Kishan Reddy, flagged off “Prakhar” street crime patrol vans in New Delhi in order to control crimes in the city and also launched single emergency helpline number 112 for immediate assistance. The main call centre has been set up at Shalimar Bagh in New Delhifor this purpose.
- About helpline no: Emergency Response Support System no 112 (ERSS-112) will be a common helpline no. for all emergency services to approach police, ambulance, fire brigade and others. A person can avail help either through through dial or through mobile app. In a smartphone device, a panic call can be created by pressing the power button thrice to activate panic call to Emergency Response Centre (ERC) whereby the person’s location will be identified by the police in the Police Control Room(PCR). Distress calls could also be made through social media, email, Short Message Service(SMS) etc.
- Prakhar vans: For now, a total of 15 Prakhar vans(Scorpio Sport Utility Vehicle(SUV)) will conduct patrolling at vulnerable spots to control crime in Delhi. This Prakhar crime control patrol was made under the ‘Safe City Project’ to curb street crime.
- Over the years the crime rate in Delhi has reduced by 20%. By this, Delhi has become the 19th state to have adopted ERSS-112.
Exhibition of India Tourism Mart 2019 inaugurated
- The Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (Independent Charge), inaugurated the exhibition of India Tourism Mart (ITM) 2019 in New Delhi.
- The Ministry of Tourism and the Federation of Associations in Indian Tourism and Hospitality (FAITH) have jointly organized this Mart. Over 240 international delegates from 51 countries and 160 exhibitors from across the country are taking in the part in the second edition of ITM.
- The Mart will provide a platform at the national level for trade and hospitality service providers in the country to interact and conduct business with their counterparts from overseas.