- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) sets its fourth Regional Academic Centre for Space (RAC-S) at the National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK) at Surathkal in Mangaluru taluk.
- The centre helps for the advanced research in the areas of relevance to the future technological and programmatic needs of the Indian Space programme.
- It also helps in the promotion of space technology in southern regions like Tamil Nadu,Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Pondicherry and Lakshadweep.
- ISRO has set its first RAC-S in Jaipur, second at Guwahati and third at Kurukshetra.
- ISRO will provide Rs 2 Crore annually per year for the conduct of research and development project.
- Chairman-K Sivan
- ISRO CPBO director- Dr P V Venkitakrishnan